Sunday, November 16, 2008

A Tribute from Cami Heywood Austin

Happy Birthday Georgia! One of my first memories of Georgia was when we played a Mozart Concerto together in a small Suzuki group. After our performance, a jazz band played "Georgia on My Mind." We danced in the back so no one could see us, but that changed when they asked us to come up front. I went up with hesitation, but Georgia had no fear. This was her song and she had no problem dancing with an old man in front of a crowd. I feel so blessed to have had Georgia as my friend. She has confidence in herself, knows who she is and helps others to see their own eternal potential. Being around her not only would I feel joy and love, but I had a desire to be better and serve others. There is no doubt that Georgia is sharing the joy in the spirit world right now. I received the tragic news of Georgia's passing while serving my mission in the Canary Islands. It was hard for me to go out and knock doors after I received the news, but I felt a push, as if Georgia were there getting me out of the door. With tear stains on my cheeks I went out and began to search for someone to teach. My companion found a kind woman who let us in, and as we shared the message with her I felt strongly to share with her my loss of my friend. I testified of the truth of seeing our loved ones again. She began to cry and share with me that she had lost two daughters in a car accident. Her heart was touched and we knelt in a very emotional prayer as we both grieved. She later joined the church. Georgia is on my mind. She continues to be an inspiration to me. I love you Georgia! You are my friend for eternity.

No comments: