Thursday, November 6, 2008

A Matter of Taste

I may not have much to contribute to this blog, never having met Georgia, but still I want to share that Adam and I remembered her while we were in Borders a few weeks ago. They were having a movie sale: Buy 2 get 1 free. We got 3 sets of musicals which included Fiddler on the Roof, West Side Story, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, and Singing in the Rain. I had seen the picture of Georgia holding her newly-opened Pride and Prejudice set (which alone made me confident that we could be friends), but Adam gave me some new information when he said that Georgia had her own copy of Singing in the Rain, too. I thought to myself, "Georgia is certainly my kind of girl."

Back at home, after watching Seven Brides, Adam posed the question, "Do you know anybody that has grown up on musicals that didn't turn out great?" "No," was my thoughtful response. We decided that a person who loves these classics must also be pretty wholesome. (And fun, silly, musical, down-to-earth, grounded, etc. ) It checks out with the entire Marriott family, doesn't it?

But this isn't the only reason I've tucked away for liking Georgia without even meeting her yet. Knowing her family, hearing her testimony, glimpsing her love for others without reserve and without judgement are all reasons that add to my feeling that when we finally do meet we will feel like sisters: because she has already proven that she is accepting and loving no matter a person's walk of life. Isn't that truly being like Christ?



Next we need to purchase The Court Jester, eh?

2 comments:

Kate said...

Laura, I have no doubt you two would have - and will get along famously. What a beautiful tribute. Thank you.

David and Neill said...

Happy Birthday, Georgia!!
Today, Sunday November 16, was a beautiful day in Holladay; especially to Dad, Trace, and me as we visited Georgia's grave. Trace carried the scissors for trimming around her gravestone, Dad had the broom for sweeping it clean, and I brought three pale pink lilies for the graveside vase. Cannon had given them to me and his gift looked perfect for Georgia's birthday. We trimmed and swept then talked about our Georgia memories. Trace remembered jumping on the trampoline with her. I remembered her cheery, goofy, funny way of flitting around the house. Dad spoke of her singing. We agreed that she doesn't want us to grieve but is surely happy that she is remembered so well and so often. How could we forget such a treasure as Georgia? We can't. She is an angel who is often 'round about us."