Sunday, September 16, 2012

Georgia at Indiana University

Georgia finished three years at Indiana University, one of the largest and best music schools in the country.  Although the music school has well over a thousand students the musicians become a kind of family, tucked within a Big 10 University.  Students from literally all over the world come to study in Bloomington and so Georgia had a very international group of friends, all of them very talented in their own right.  Georgia studied violin with Mauricio Fucs whose studio was particularly close, but she also had a "family" through the LDS Institute which was right across the street from the music school, and well, ahem, if I do say so myself, a sister and brother in-law.  We were roommates during my last year at IU.  Wasn't I lucky?  I will try very hard to remember names here, but forgive me since it's been 10 years since I've seen most of these remarkable people.  I'll just put first names for privacy - my apologies to those whose names I have forgotten.

With Felix in Mr. Fucs' studio.

With Short-term roommate, Adrienne

Alan - also from Mr. Fucs' studio

On a hike 

At a dance with Marty

With Felix and Jimmy, her stand partner

In Austria while studying abroad

At an IU game with friends from church, Bruce and Sally

With roommate, Shanna and her brother

With roommate, Sally.  Shanna and Sally were Georgia's roommates during her senior year at IU and helped the family go through her room, arrange things at the funeral in Indiana, and communicate the news to friends so we didn't have to.  Thank you!

With Mr. Fucs and his wife

With friends from Mr. Fucs' studio

Hanging out with Bruce

After a concert in Gratz, Austria with her violin on her back.

Freshman year with roommate Haleigh in the dorm.

With friends from church (and Youming) at the Institute

Quartet


Church friends - roommates Shanna and Sally

With Michelle at the Institute

With Michelle and their hair for Locks of Love.  I went (as moral support) with Georgia to get her hair cut and when we walked out of the salon she cried and cried.  She really did have beautiful, long hair!

Lots of love and flowers after her Junior recital

End of freshman year.

Stand partner and dear friend, Jimmy

Jimmy was in Gratz with Georgia (I hope my memory is not wrong on this...)

At a performance with Jimmy

With Jordan 

Friends at church - Michelle

Post-concert with conductor and orchestra friends

After her recital with roommates Shanna and Sally
Hanging out with Sally (who must have given her many rides)

Another studio gathering - with Sarah.





2 comments:

mnhvance said...

I think I took half of these pictures! I loved seeing them all! Thanks for posting Kate.

Matt said...

My name is Matthew L. Miller. I have only just come across this blog and learned about Georgia thanks to Elder Andersen, but I have felt vary strongly of her influence and faith, so much so that I feel compelled to comment and learn more about who she is.
In ways i'm sure few could possibly understand her story and influence has awakened something in me, a hope, a determination I have not felt for some time. Thank you for sharing such sweet memories and more.

V/R A hopeful friend.