Thursday, April 23, 2009

A Tribute From Preston Parker

Preston left this as a comment, but I wanted to post it because it's so nice.

These pictures of Georgia in Bloomington, Indiana, bring back so many emotions and memories. Serving on the Institute of Religion student council with her was so meaningful. We'd gather together for meetings at 7 a.m. (I still can't figure out why) and I remember thinking, "How can she be so chipper at these meetings? What is driving her?" She always brightened a room when she came in. It was like you could feel it. I remember the week of her passing so vividly, even today. Specific things, that you wouldn't think would be so ingrained in memories. When we heard the news of her accident, we went to the hospital as soon as we could. JaNiel and I were allowed in to see her and the nurse told us she was in an induced coma and would recover over time, but that she could hear us if we talked with her. We did...we told her how special she was and how we missed her playing "Orange Blossom Special." We left to the waiting area to join Sally and Shanna and a few other friends, where we all were somber and optimistic. The phone call the next day was shocking. She was gone..."but how can she be gone?...we were just with her...they said she'd be fine." The memorial service in the new meetinghouse was so special, so memorable. Though I didn't know the Marriott family, except for Kate, I grew to know them in the few short hours we spent together. I still vividly remember words, thoughts, and feelings from that service...who sat where, the songs, and of course a father's "We'll miss you Georgia girl." Almost every time I go to put my helmet on when I ride my bike, I think of Georgia. And now, when my children ask why we wear helmets, I simply say something like "Because I lost a dear friend who was riding her bike...and I don't want to lose another one." Fortunately, we all know the loss is a temporary one. We will meet again. Thanks Georgia.
February 12, 2009 10:29 PM

1 comment:

Clifford Reeves said...

I remember her spirit and kindness (no other could measure near it). I was in attendance that evening and the spirit of the Lord was stronger that afternoon more than I have ever felt. Georgia was always there when I needed someone to turn to. She was always a shoulder to cry on, an ear to have listen to your good or bad times, and someone who could make you remember how special each of us are to our Heavenly Father. I am rather saddened that the copy I had of her testimony, picture and the Book of Mormon we received that day was lost in a fire. I constantly mention her when it comes down to my testimony of faith. She is, has been, and always will be an inspiration to me on how to express and share the true love of Christ. What a gift she is in my life and a warmth in my heart still today. What I would give if someone could offer me a copy of her picture, testimony and obituary (message me at my email @ reeves.clifford@yahoo.com if able to help with this). Today I share her memory and the joy she brought everyone she embraced with her sweet pure nature. Georgia we love you today as we did and tomorrow may we continue to lead our lifes as you lead yours, in the service of our Heavenly Father. I say all these things and share my gratitude for her love and that of our Savior in the name of our Savior Jesus Christ. Amen