Friday, October 5, 2012

If Georgia were here...

I was so grateful for the balloon release to look forward to on Georgia's special day. I had been pondering for some months before what I might do to honor her and celebrate her life that day instead of just mope. And yet, after the balloon release and the kids were in bed, I felt the pang of her absence and couldn't help the tears. I longed to be in Utah with everyone and to feel the closeness of those who love her so dearly as I do. As I cried, a sudden warmth came over me and the thought entered my mind - "what would we be doing if Georgia were here right now?" I immediately felt happy! I knew exactly what we'd be doing! We would be laughing, eating gummy bears, talking about the Gospel and life in general, and at some point playing our violins - both serious and fun music, of course. :)

I couldn't help but smile and feel the urge to play as I reminisced. Memories of Georgia flooded my mind, and as I played Beethoven's "Romance," I was reminded of an experience our sophomore(?) year of college. Ever since we were young, we had a tradition of playing our violins with and for each other whenever we had sleepovers. This time, Georgia played the Romance for me. Before she played, she talked about her great respect for Mr. Fucs and how grateful she was that he encouraged her to play from her heart, along with the many other great things he taught her. As she played, it was as though I could see her very soul! The Spirit filled the room, and her music, though it came from a violin, seemed to come from heaven. It sounded almost like singing. I'm not sure how to describe it, but I will never forget it. Anyone who has heard her play has perhaps had a similar experience.

Years ago, my violin teacher said, "Some people play to dazzle, others play to touch." Well, Georgia could certainly dazzle any audience, that's for sure, but that wasn't her goal. She truly did play to touch the hearts of those who listened, which she absolutely did every time she played.

My spirits were lifted and I felt connected to her through the music. As my husband and I looked through her pictures, read her testimony, and ate chocolate ice cream,  I again rejoiced that, although not in visible form, she actually IS here. :)


No comments: