Wednesday, November 17, 2010

From Georgia's Journal on her Birthday

Happy Birthday, Georgia!  Today you would be 30 earth years old.  I looked back ten years ago in your journals and I thought your brothers and sisters would like to hear some of the things you wrote when you were a 20 year old at IU….
November 12, 2000
Sundays are wonderful.  Especially ever since I made the goal to take Sunday off completely and give it to the Lord.  I am able to rest and patch up the wounds or rough spots on my soul from the week.  Tonight we had a special fireside given by President Hinckley to the youth of the church – what a wonderful man!  After firesides I usually get all sad because it’s like I have to change my focus from the spiritual things I had just heard to things more of the world.  But this time, I went away invigorated, ready to face my monstrous week and the world, comfortable in the sureness of this church.
November 18, 2000
My birthday was wonderful.  Kate went all out with it.  She had people come over in the morning and surprise me.  It wasn’t the most pleasant surprise because I had just gotten out of the shower….it was quite humorous.  Anyway, I got to school and there were fliers all over the music school with random pictures of me all over them, saying ‘Happy Birthday Georgia!” Wow, I was surprised.  There were also baby pictures all over the place!  I warmed up to the idea as the day went on and it gave me a chuckle every once in a while,  esp. when people I had never met told me happy birthday. ..anyway the day was great and low-key – just how I like it. 
Kate made it special and gave me various presents throughout the day.  In master class the studio sang to me and after, Kate, Christian and William honored me by giving presents and watching “Singing in the Rain.”  Still love that movie.  The best gift, though was a little book of note paper shaped as a boot.  Inside, Kate had asked all of my good friends at IU to sign it, writing what they loved about me.  It meant so much to me.  I think every person should have a day like that, when they feel loved and needed.  It was a great birthday.
March 3, 2001
There is something so pure and healing in the morning sun, coming through the windows, spilling out on me.  The view ahead of me is simply lovely flowers that I picked out for Kate for her senior recital last night.  And next to me…sacred music is filling the apartment.  I want only to be close to love and truth and joy.  All of those things are found within my family.  What I feel there is inexpressible, quite honestly. I know that is eternal and real and true—it will never leave me, and why?  Because it is founded on this church –Christ’s church. 
March 17 President Hinckley will be at Kate and Christian's wedding dinner tomorrow because he is related to Christian.  So exciting—I can’t wait to see him!
March 18, 2001
The wedding was beautiful!  Kate looked gorgeous and was beaming despite the load of snow that was dumped on the day.  It was a long day but worth seeing the way Kate and Christian looked at each other and the spirit of love surrounding them.  My (patriarchal) blessing said that my husband is preparing and will be waiting for me.  Anyway, I was Kate’s maid of honor and I just love her.  My dress was a little too tight and by the end of the long night of dancing at the reception (so fun with my whole family) I had a hole in my armpit.  So it didn’t really matter when I jumped up in the air and caught the bouquet of flowers while ripping basically the whole armpit (of the dress). Life is so rich in blessings.
Today was Adam’s farewell and it was so special….my little brothers got up and each recited a scripture and why they love it.  My brothers are noble, wonderful people!  Then Caroline, Paige and I struggled through a trio – ‘Here Am I’- neat song, hard harmony.  Paige swayed back and forth between alto and soprano and caused me a few chuckles…the older boys sang “In This Very Room” beautifully and then Adam.  He is powerful!  He is a true servant and son of God. …I know he will be a marvelous missionary.  His talk was strong and sure…I love him and know he will be blessed in Korea.   For the closing hymn my family all sang “Go Ye Now in Peace.”  It was so awesome to be with all of them. (minus Kate)  My testimony of family cannot and will not ever be shaken.  It is my greatest blessing and joy in this world.  I know it is divine and without it I would not be happy. I am so grateful for righteous parents who put the Lord first and taught me in his ways.  What light has poured into my mind this week as I sought God and found him.
The dinner with the Mitchells and the Prophet was good.  I talked to President Hinckley’s wife a little and she is beautiful and so meek.  I could feel a genuine interest and love for me emitting from her.  She said, “Thank you for talking to me.”  Later Cannon and I sang “Pie Jesu” and it was so special, the spirit was there.  She reached up to grab my hand to thank me as I walked back to my seat.
April 1, 2001
How can I discern evil from good?....Only by trusting Christ and the Father, only by following the spirit.  Only by truly being humble, sincere, and honest with myself, God and others.  Only by denying myself of ungodliness –by doing that I lose nothing of worth. (L. Aldin Porter said that, I love that!)  Only by faith, hope, and charity.  Only by holding fast to God’s word.  I’m certain these are right.  I hope to do them all  -- I pray I can come closer and be saved.  In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen. 
Love, Georgia
And so, there is a little glimpse into your sister’s heart on her birthday, isn’t she funny?  And deep?  And earnest?  And deeply spiritual…. Happy Birthday dear daughter.
Love, Mom

1 comment:

Kate said...

It gets me a little choked up to read that her husband is waiting for her when she had no idea that meant on the other side. Well, that is how I interpret it anyway. Bet he's a pretty amazing man.